Monday, February 27, 2017

Georgia Week 1

February 27, 2017


Hey y'all!

I finally made it to Georgia and it has been quite the adventure. I never expected it to be warm already, for one thing. It's February, but we already have 70 degree weather some days, like it's summer or something. My trainer, Sister Anderson, says that summer heat is about three times worse, so I'm not looking forward to that. And then on some days, the weather can be cold and windy, so I really don't know what to think or how to dress in the morning - it's just always a surprise! There are also lots of trees and green grass here, similar to Maine. But there are also lots of big bugs and different plants that I have never even seen before, so I guess that's the South!

I have been transferred to the little town of Braselton, and my trainer is Sister Anderson. She is really nice and caring towards everyone, so she is teaching me everything I need to know about the area and missionary work in the field. She is from Moroni, Utah, and has been here a little over a year, so she knows the ropes! We both have missionary work and our faith in this gospel in common, so I know we can be a good team. She has been introducing me to many of the members - active and less active - here in the area and they are all so caring and friendly! A lot of them struggle going to church all the time, because there are a lot of part member families, and also because I believe our ward building is in Commerce. But they are all good people and it's all about getting to know and love them. I think that's a lot of what I learned this week - just being a friend and understanding with love all of the people here, member and nonmember alike, because when it really comes down to it, that's what this gospel is all about - loving people the way Jesus Christ loves us.

I also got to teach the two progressing investigators we have this week - Avery and Bridget. Avery is a high school senior who was dating the branch president's son before he left on his mission to Africa and Bridget is from a returning less active family.They are both so excited to learn and earnestly follow the teachings of Jesus Christ, and that's what makes me really love missionary work - just seeing the changes people go through and making the gospel a part of their lives! Avery is reading the Book of Mormon and praying every day, and Bridget, even though she is only 9, really wanted to pay tithing right after we taught her about it! I know this gospel is such a joy and a blessing, and when we give our lives to the Lord, we can experience that joy and happiness and peace in our lives that can only come from Him! Even as a missionary, I have experienced that faith continuing to grow and develop. It's been a bit of a transition to the mission field, but I am loving it! (So far no weird food or unintelligible accents, so I think we're good, :))

Talk to you again next week,

Sister Yount
Georgia Peach 2

No comments:

Post a Comment