Tuesday, February 14, 2017

One Week Down (Officially not the baby anymore!)

Thursday February 9, 2017

Georgia Atlanta North Mission!

 

Cool badge pic
 
 
 
Sister Hansen and I pointing to our mission in Georgia on the World Map!
I made it through one week here at the MTC! A lot has happened this week, so I will try to describe it as best I can. 

You already know about that cool role play with the investigators as all the new missionaries had a chance to rotate and switch through teaching three different people. It reminded me a lot of the Stake Missionary Conference back home! Apparently that's what it's really like. I was able to feel the Spirit so strongly and really testify that these people are children of God! Heavenly Father wants them to be happy and have the wonderful gift of Jesus Christ and His Gospel in their lives! Everyone also said "Welcome to the MTC" when us newbies walked by since they out an orange sticker on our badges. Also, I LOVE the new magnet badges! They are amazing!
 

Sister Hansen and I on our second day here
Sister Hansen and I



















That same day,  I also met my companion and district! My companion's name is Sister Hansen and we hit it off right away! She is a huge Harry Potter geek like me (plus Doctor Who, Sherlock, Avatar, you name it). She told me she is from a tiny town called Joseph City in Northern Arizona, which is mostly made up of a huge extended family...kind of like how everyone is related in that show Once Upon A Time. We are both going to serve in the Georgia Atlanta North mission and we are so excited to share the gospel together despite being two introverts who don't normally talk to complete strangers. She and I have already taught some lessons this week, too. They get you started right away here at the MTC! They are mostly members role playing, but it is still good practice for me and I feel like I am learning so much every day that I spend here...how to teach people, work in unison with my companion, and learning the gospel better and how to grow my faith in Jesus Christ and feel His Spirit. 
Our district in the classroom we spend most of our time here in studying

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Our first lesson took place on the third day. We were able to teach our teacher, Brother Hooper as an investigator he taught (Wayne). Sister Hansen and I did our best to teach him about the restoration. We fumbled a bit in working together in unison, but I think we are figuring it out. Our class is composed of our entire district at the MTC, which consists of all three companionships of Sisters who bunk in our room and two companionships of Elders. The Sisters are: Sister Reynolds & Sister Gifford, and Sister Hurd & Sister Chappell. The Elders in our district are Elder Tolman & Elder Stokes, and Elder Reeves & Elder Miller. After sharing our testimonies with each other on our first day together, we are a pretty tightly-knit group now. We are also all going to Georgia. Some are going to Macon, (like you, Mama!) but we will all be pretty close to each other for the duration of our missions, which is pretty cool.

Basically, our schedule every day has become a pattern of studying (Book of Mormon study, personal study, companion study) for investigators, class time learning skills for teaching, eating, exercise time (which is so great to have as a break from sitting down all day!) TRC  teaching for investigators, and sleep. TRCs (I'm actually not sure what the real name is!) are basically teaching opportunities that are set up for one week. So this week we teach Marcus, who was raised Catholic, but is now going to BYU is taking the lessons very well! Sister Hansen and I like to call him our golden investigator because our other investigator, Leah, is very strong in her religion in which she believes that Christians simply have to accept that they are weak and Jesus is the only one that can save them - we only try to show compassion to others because of Jesus' perfect grace for us. Sometime I feel so frustrated that she is so CLOSE to the truth, but she will only listen to us when we agree with her (meaning not anything that requires us to do things). My companion and I have agreed that we simply have to love her and there is a reason that Heavenly Father wanted us to have that challenge this week. 

It's a pretty crazy schedule, and pretty busy, too, but I have been enjoying it so much! I have never felt the desire to serve or the Spirit stronger in my life, and even though it is hard to leave  for a year, I know that this is my calling in the Lord's work.

I love all of you and want to thank you so much for your love and support in my mission! I am so excited to serve, and even though I have a lot to learn, I know I can do it. I miss you all and would love to hear from you! Please feel free to respond any day of the week since I can read emails any day.

Lauralee

Our district in front of the Provo temple
P.S. went to the temple today to do endowments and Sister Hansen and I did some family names :) It was amazing to be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment