Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Official cockroach season?

March 20, 2017

So...to answer the title question...we saw about three cockroaches this week, one day after another. I am definitely NOT looking forward to the summertime. Coackroaches are nasty little bugs - well really, the ones we found were pretty big and fat. It is reasons like these why I could never live forever in Georgia! I still don't know how the bugs survive around here when the weather fluctuates within about 20 degrees every other week!

Sister Anderson and I found the tulip tree!









Anyways...it was a pretty good week. the weather is starting to warm up, so this week will be really good for tracting. It was so nice yesterday to stand in front of doors with the sun on my back and no wind nipping at me!  We ended up doing a lot of tracting this week as well (missionaries are always in the finding business!), but not really any new investigators. We are trying harder every day to listen to the Spirit and talk to everyone. And so far, everyone really has been pretty nice to us - they're just pretty content with their own faith and church.



Athens Zone Conference Elders & Sisters

Athens Zone Sisters having lunch

We attended zone conference this week, which was really cool. The mission president  - President Bennion - and his wife got up and spoke to us about how we can improve our finding efforts through different methods and goals as a zone. We focused a lot on appealing to the youth of the church to share their knowledge and testimony through social media, since most people who join the church end up doing so in their teens and early adult years because that is when they are really looking for a purpose in their lives. President says that the social media is such a fast and broad place to share the gospel, as well, so we have been focusing on that a lot as a new way to encourage member missionary work. During the meeting, we also did a lot of roleplays encouraging us to use different door and street contacting approaches like family history, prophets, the Book of Mormon, etc. We made a whole list and are now competing as a zone to see who can use all of them first and find new investigators from it!





I also went on exchange for my first time this week with a Sister Hansen (not MTC Companion Sister Hansen), who is also one of the STLs (Sister Trainer Leaders). She was really friendly and encouraging as we got to know each other and learned to apply different door approaches. I went to her area the day before zone conference, and it was kind of cool to get to know a new area and companion if only for a day. In some ways, it felt like I was completely green all over again, even though that will doubtless happen when I get transferred- just trying to take in all the new information all at once! When I was out with her, I finally got in to a house - a couple actually, and we were able to share our testimonies of the power of prayer and the Atonement of Jesus Christ, respectively. They were both Christian, but also very open to discussing Jesus Christ and religion with us, which was nice (for a change!)

I am so glad to be here in Georgia learning new things and meeting new people every day! I know that the work is definitely going strong here, and I hope that I will continue to trust in the Lord's guidance and timing to meet those who are willing and prepared to receive the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. Love you all and I look forward to talking again next week!

Love,
Sister Yount
Georgia Peach 2


Here are a few extra pictures:
Sister Yount and Sister Anderson, my companion
ice cream at Brusters on Sisters preparation after our self-defense class


No comments:

Post a Comment